The holidays can be one of the most dreaded times of the year for singles. There are so many parties you may have to attend and if you don’t have a date you may not want to attend those parties. This year I decided to do something different and have my own party. I invited my closest girlfriends over for a night I called Eating, Drinking, Painting and PJ’s! I put a little creative twist on a simple get together and it was not difficult (or expensive!) at all.
I asked everyone to bring their favorite dish and/or a bottle of wine. I like asking everyone to bring a plate because it allows everyone to show off their cooking skills and holiday traditions. We had such a great variety of dishes from desserts, to cheese plates, meatballs and chili. I know everyone left satisfied!
As I said in my eating section, everyone brought a bottle of wine but I had one guest that brought some festive sangria! It was a huge hit! She had to send the recipe to all of us because we loved it that much! The presentation was amazing too! Needless to say it did not last long. Thank goodness we had enough wine!
This was my FAVORITE part of the night! I wanted to include something girlie to go along with this girls only party. I friend of mine came up with the idea of painting wine glasses. This may sound like a bit of a pricey activity but it really wasn’t.
What you need:
- wine glasses: (bought them at the Dollar store)
- Paint: Make sure you get paint that is made for glass. I almost bought the wrong type so it is a good idea to ask (bought at Hobby Lobby). Note: Next time around I will probably stay away from buying the color white. It came out more of a clear color on the glass. I might use a silver in place of white.
- Paint brushes: I made sure I got brushes of all sizes and even some sponges so my guests could have a variety of tools to choose from. (bought at Hobby Lobby).
- Holiday Stencils: I got these for FREE by just googling holiday pictures in the image section. There is a coloring section that you can grab from. Just cut them out small enough for them to fit inside the glass for guests to trace.
Once everyone is finished painting you need to cure the glasses. There are two ways you can do this:
- Let it sit for 21 days before using.
- Put the glasses in a cool oven. Then set the oven to 350 degrees and let it gradually warm up. Bake for 30 minutes and then turn the oven off and let the glasses gradually cool down on their own. You can then remove the glasses and they are good to use right away! Here are a few of our master pieces.
The green, red and white striped is mine (looks better in person than the picture). You can see the white paint didn’t really hold up well but the other colors worked well.
How many holiday parties do you attend where you have dress up? You stress out about what to wear, spend lots of money on an outfit you may only wear once and you are in PAIN walking in your heals! Well I decided to switch it up for my party. I told everyone to come in their pajamas! No one had to worry about what they looked like, who they needed to impress or walking in heals! Everyone was comfortable! Being the host of the party, I wanted to be festive so I had to go out and buy some new pajamas. I found holiday pajama pants at Old Navy for $6! You can’t beat that! I was comfy in my snowflake pants….
I LOVED hosting this party! I didn’t have to worry about if I was going to bring as a date, what I was going to wear or squeezing my feet in to heals (as you can tell, heals are not always my friend)! Having a get-together like this really put me in the holiday spirit. If you are single, and dreading the holidays, find something fun and creative to do. Invite some of your closest friend over for some sort of creative party. Do what will make YOU feel comfortable and I’m sure you will get into the holiday spirit like I did.
Merry Christmas everyone!